- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 yellow bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 1/2 pound small pasta
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup basil or less
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground curmin
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups roquette leaves, cut bite-sized (tender spinach may be substituted)
Special utensil: Baking sheet for eggplant cubes.
Preheat oven to 450 F. Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil over eggplant cubes. Toss to cool. Spread on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes. Stir often. Do not over cook. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and peppers. Saute 2-3 minutes. Put into bowl. Cool. Cook small pasta until tender and chewy (not mushy) about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Pour pasta into sauteed peppers. Add vinegar, basil and peas. Pour remaining olive oil on tomatoes. Toss. Add cubed baked eggplant. Add minced garlic. Allow to marinate 14 hours. Let cool to room temperature. Add chopped roquette (spinach). Serve as main course or side dish.